Sunday, September 9, 2012

Remembering 9/11


Most of us will never be able to forget where we were on the day of September 11th, 2001. I remember that I had dropped off my oldest son (my only at the time) at my grandparents to head in for my day at beauty school when I saw the news coverage of the first plane hitting the World Trade Center. As we watched, we saw live coverage of the second plane hitting the towers. I went on in to school with a heavy heart, this kind of thing wasn't supposed to happen here... not in the US. I knew that one of my husband's uncles worked at the WTC and I prayed that he would be safe. At school, none of us could concentrate. We all crowded around the radio listening to all of the latest coverage. I remember hearing about the plane hitting the Pentagon and all the reports of other possible targets and I left to be home with my family. I remember watching as the towers fell and hearing the reports of the brave passengers on Flight 93. The next day we heard that my husband's uncle didn't go into work that morning because he wasn't feeling well. We watched the coverage for weeks, always praying they would find more survivors, praying for all the rescue workers and the families of the ones who did not survive. I remember being warned to avoid highly populated areas. I remember, when planes began to fly again, the feeling of fear that came with hearing an airplane fly overhead. I remember how as a country we came together to support each other, how the National Anthem and our American flag meant something to us all again.

On the 11th anniversary of that day, I now have three children. Each year we sit together and we watch the memorial coverage on TV. I want them to know about this day. We, as a nation, said that we will never forget and that means that we must teach our children about it. We should teach them about it to show them that hate breeds evil; to show them that true hero's aren't in movies or on a football field but in uniforms and on a firetruck.



Below are some websites to help you teach your children about what happened on September 11th, 2001:

The 9/11 Memorial website will have a live showing of the 2012 Commemoration Ceremony starting at 8:30 am EST on September 11, 2012.

The History Channel has many great articles on the day and the aftermath.

New York Magazine has an Encyclopedia of 9/11.

Television Archive has links to news broadcasts from 9/11 and the days after.

CNN has many articles and links in their War on Terror Special.

There are some wonderful 9/11 tribute videos on YouTube if you do a search there.

You can also go to TV Guide online, click on listings and then put 9/11 in the search box to find this year's television specials.









1 comment:

  1. Such a harrowing memory.

    Thanks for linking up with Link'n Blogs. Hope to see you back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete